Moments in Time Saved in Black and White

All of us have moments in our lives that are etched in our minds as memories. Many are significant events that hold special meaning for us. But, they don’t have to be. They can be a moment in time—a moment when you see something you see every day that strikes a chord with you. Something about it suddenly seems extraordinary. 

Or, it can be something you've never seen before that will always be memorable because it was not what you thought it would be. Like something you've seen in photographs many times or heard about all your life, but seeing it in person almost takes your breath away because it is so much better than anything you had pictured in your mind’s eye.


Saving moments in time is what my black and white drawings are all about. During my first trip to New York City over 20 years ago, I was walking around taking pictures. When I arrived at Carnegie Hall, it was bathed in sunlight with wonderful deep, dark shadows in the arches above the marquee. I knew I had to draw it, saving that moment in time.


When Sarah and Charlie were little, playing with a big, flop-eared bunny, is another saved moment in time. The way they were both squatting down exactly the same, completely focused on the rabbit. 

It also shows how completely different they are. Sarah was not afraid to pick up any animal. Her arm is outstretched with her hand under the rabbit. Charlie’s hands are on his own feet. He is intently looking, but not about to touch the bunny. Every time I look at the drawing it makes me smile. It IS them!


Sophie, my cat, climbed into this bowl one night. My first thought was to get my camera to take a picture. My next thought was that she wouldn't still be there when I got back. 

I decided quickly that it was worth a try. She not only was still in the bowl, she stayed there, without moving, long enough for me to take several pictures. When I was finished, she immediately got out of the bowl and has never gotten in it again. If you have a pet, you know what I mean when I say it was a moment in time to be saved.

What moments in time are you saving?  

No comments: