Drawing with Pen and Ink

I am often asked if I will teach someone how to draw with pen and ink. I tell people that the best way to learn how to draw with pen and ink is to get pen and paper and start drawing. I share with anyone who wants to know how I create my drawings and the specific materials I use, but that doesn't mean they will be able to draw the way I do. You could put ten people in a room with the pen and paper that I use and no two people would draw the same way.

I believe learning to draw well is the best thing anyone who wants to create art can do no matter what medium they want to use. The great artists have always been great draughtsmen. Picasso drew extremely well before he started taking the human figure apart and putting it back together with body parts in all the "wrong" places.

Drawing is like playing a musical instrument, dancing, or singing--the more you practice (I call it staying warmed up) the better you get.

No comments: